Prof. Dr. Muhammad Fazli Ilahi
Vice-Chancellor of the University
He had his early education at St. Gregory's High School, Notre Dame College. He obtained the B.Sc. (Engg.) Hons., Mech., Degree from Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, (Session 1971) and Ph.D. from University of Bradford, United Kingdom in 1977. He was a UNIDO fellow based at Loughborough University of Technology from 1979-80 and was involved for formulating Training Program for engineers of Bangladesh in the field of Plastics Processing.
He was Vice-Chancellor (04.01.2003 to 31.03.2008) of Islamic University of Technology (IUT), a subsidiary organ of the Organization of the Islamic Cooperation (OIC), with Headquarters in Jeddah and Professor of Mechanical Engineering, BUET.
- Vice President (Academic), Bangladesh Society of Mechanical Engineers (BSME) till now.
- Chairman, Sectoral Committee, ME, Board of Accreditation of Engineering and Technical Education (BAETE), IEB till now.
- Acting Director General, Islamic Institute of Technology (in 2000, 2001).
- Professor and Head, Mech. & Chem.Engg. Deptt.,IUT.
- Reprsentive of IIT to IDB, Jeddah (2000).
- Founding Head, Computer Centre, IUT (ICTVTR) (1993-1995), Acting Head, CIT Deptt.,IIT (May,1998).
- Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) from 10.02.1986 (till joining ICVTR, i.e.IUT).
- Editor, Journal of Engineering and Technology, IUT (2002-2008).
- Acting Director, Computer Centre, BUET (1986, for short period).
- System Analyst, Computer Centre, BUET (1985-86).
- Editor, Mechanical Engineering Research Bulletin, BUET (1979-1986).
- Demonstrator of Applied Mechanics, University of Bradford, United Kingdom (1975-1977: part-time).
- He was involved with the Preparation of lab and workshop equipments and technical documents for ICTVTR.
- Chairman, Anjumane Hedayatul Ummat, Bangladesh.
- Member, Mutawalli Committee, Fael Khair Bangladesh, IDB, Jeddah.
- "Programming in FORTRAN 77"
- "Elements of Programming in BASIC",
- "Science, Technology and Islam",
- "Path to Eternal Peace",
- "Sohoj Bhasai Islamer Mul Kotha" in Bengali.
His technical Papers were Published in International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, International Journal of Strain Analysis, Journal of IEB, Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Journal of Engg. and Technology.
He attended conferences in home and abroad and authored several conference papers, presented in Kuwait, Indonesia, USA, Malaysia, Bangladesh. Several feature Articles of his were published in Bangladesh Observer, Daily Star, Sangbadh.
He has acted as Consultant to a large number of national and international agencies.
Academic and others responsibilities:
- Member, National Academic Committee for Non-Destructive Testing (Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission).
- Member, National Safety Committee for Savar 4 MW Triga GA Research Reactor, BAEC.
- Member, Postgraduate Board of Studies, Industrial and Production Engineering Deptt., Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET).
- Member, Governing Board, Board of Accreditation for Engineering and Technical Education, (BAETE), Bangladesh.
- Development of 'Mishuk' Tri-wheeler in Bangladesh.
- Design checkup of Radial Gate of Teesta Barrage, Bangladesh.
- Chairman, Investigation Committee, Hand Loom Project of World Bank, Ministry of Women's Affairs (1992), Government of Bangladesh.
- Member, Committee for improvement of Safe System of Banks, Ministry of Finance (1986), Government of Bangladesh.
He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (FIEB), Bangladesh Computer Society (FBCS), Bangladesh Society of Mechanical Engineers (BSME), Member, Japan Society of Technology of Plastcity (JSTP), Vice Chairman (Academic), Hikmah Foundation (2001-2002).
- Chairman, Visiting Team for Accreditation of Degrees of several Universities(BAETE, IEB).
- Leader of Team, External Peer Review of ME Deptt., BUET, World Bank funded UGC Projects (2018).
- External Member for M.Sc. Engg. Ph.D. Degress of ME Deptt., BUET.